Oh Sh*t. I’ve lost my Job? What Now? 7 Steps on How to Deal with the Stress of Losing Your Job
Two of my clients got asked to leave their jobs over the last couple of weeks. One of them had a great payout and now has the time to think about what he wants to do with his life. The other got barely enough to cover his mortgage and has a sense of urgency in finding a new “something” for or returning back to the same industry she was in before.
They both had career change as one of their objectives for coming to life coaching. Both were keen to live the “2nd Half” of life doing something that motivated them.
Now that the universe has given them a gentle nudge in that career change direction, the world of pure potential has opened up for them. From a Life& Business Coaching perspective, we are now working on making that dream come true and both have achieved some tremendous results already.
The following is some personal and client insight into what you can do to lessen those fears in these times, things you probably already know but always worth being reminded of:
7 steps you can take to deal with the stress of losing your job?
- Immediately work out your budget – what does it cost for you to live per month?
- From there, work out how long you can afford not to earn – this will then help you decide whether now is the time for you to pursue a career change
- Where can you make cutbacks in your spending? some? Implement cutbacks immediately! i.e. that gym membership you never use… Put on hold…
- Who are your mentors? Call them and seek advice
- Go visit your Life Coach, Healer, do something that is grounding and good for you
- Who is in your inner circle and your greater network of friends, classmates, colleagues, etc. that can help you find a job? Who of them can help you? Learn to use to use your network!
- If you want a career change, do you have the skills already or do you need to skill up? Start looking up courses
One last insight for those dealing with change… Go visit a Playground…! Get on a swing, see-saw, climbing frame… Go nuts and bring out the child like wonder within! Have some fun at this time. A night out with you best friends is another way to let your hair down… The hangover on the morning after… Ah well… You’ll get over that too!
“Life’s a Playground, not a Prison… Live as you Truly Desire…”